Title: UX/UI Software Engineer
Type: Full time, professional.
Location: GMT Project Office, Pasadena CA
This exciting job opportunity is with the GMTO (Giant Magellan Telescope Organization) located in Pasadena, California. The GMT is being developed by a group of leading university and research centers from across the globe. The GMTO Corporation has been formed to design, construct and operate the GMT Observatory which will be located in the Andean mountains at Las Campanas Peak in Chile. The GMT is the next generation astronomical observatory with the capability to have 10 times the resolution of the Hubble Space Telescope. The project is entering the formal construction phase with scientific operations expected to begin in 2021-2022.
BE A PART OF TRANSFORMING OUR UNDERSTANDING OF THE UNIVERSE
The successful candidate will be an employee of the GMTO Corporation and must be able to meet pre-employment requirements including any background and reference checks and the successful candidate must be a US citizen or eligible to work in the United States and at least 18 years of age. GMTO provides competitive salaries and a generous benefits package.
The UX/UI Software Engineer will be part of the Software and Controls (SWC) team and will be responsible to design, implement and test web-based user interface applications and tools which are part of the GMT Software and Control System (SWCS). This position will work closely with the software architects and other software developers in order to provide a high-quality and a high-value software experience to the end users of the GMT Control System.
In order to be able to recommend and implement innovative solutions the UX/UI Software Engineer is expected to keep up-to date with current trends and tools in user interface and web development tools. This position will report to the Software and Controls Manager.
• Review and create requirements documentation
• Designing and implement user interfaces for control systems an observatory software
• Design and implement web-based frameworks and model based development tools
• Translate designs and style guides into functional user interfaces
• Follow coding standards, builds unit tests, integration tests and deployment scripts
• Work collaboratively with the architecture and development teams
• Perform training to end users
• Install and setup required software
• Provide reports on progress and problems
• Write technical reports, manuals and support documentation
• Prepare and deliver presentations at project reviews and conferences
• Support developers and community on support forums, mailing lists, wikis, etc.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• MS degree in software engineering or a related discipline
• 2 years previous experience developing web-based interfaces
• Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
• Ability to work with cross-functional work teams and users
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
• User interface design patterns
• Webcomponents, Polymer
• Web services / REST API’s / websockets
• Experience using web frameworks
• Experience with node.js
• Good knowledge of Unix and Linux
• Willingness and ability to travel to foreign and domestic vendor, partner, and observatory locations as the need arises
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• JSON, XML
• Experience with Model Based Software Engineering based on DSLs
• Experience with SysML
• Experience in agile projects
• Open source community experience is a plus
• Previous experience in telescopes or related sciences is a plus
Applicants should send a Letter of Interest and a Resume to email@example.com.
Only electronic submissions will be accepted. Please refer to the Job Number in the letter and in the email subject line.
GMTO is an equal opportunity employer.