Title: Structural Analyst
Type: Full time, professional
Location: GMT Project Office, Pasadena CA
This exciting job opportunity is with the GMTO (Giant Magellan Telescope Organization) located in Pasadena, California. The GMT is being developed by a group of leading university and research centers from across the globe. The GMTO Corporation has been formed to design, construct and operate the GMT Observatory which will be located in the Andean mountains at Las Campanas Peak in Chile. The GMT is the next generation astronomical observatory with the capability to have 10 times the resolution of the Hubble Space Telescope. The project is entering the formal construction phase with scientific operations expected to begin in 2023.
BE A PART OF TRANSFORMING OUR UNDERSTANDING OF THE UNIVERSE
The successful candidate will be an employee of the GMTO Corporation and must be able to meet pre-employment requirements including any background and reference checks and the successful candidate must be a US citizen or eligible to work in the United States and at least 18 years of age. GMTO provides competitive salaries and a generous benefits package.
Reporting to the Telescope Structures Lead, the Structural Analyst will be a member of the team engaged in the analysis, design, and fabrication of the telescope mount and structure. This role will be responsible for leading various structural and mechanical analyses to support the design of the telescope mount and its interfaces to other telescope components. The position will also be responsible for reviewing and maintaining requirements, drawing evaluation, and analysis for proof of concept. Responsibilities also include reviewing progress and interaction with the design-build vendors, which involves designs and analyses. Duties will be performed at a high level with general supervision and direction. The Structural Analyst will be called upon to write technical reports and make presentations in his/her area of responsibility.
The Structural Analyst will:
• Develop and maintain requirements and interfaces for the telescope mount structure and its subsystems.
• Provide analyses and calculations of structural components of the telescope using static, dynamic and seismic solutions to support telescope design efforts
• Review vendor analysis reports, evaluate and report finding
• Document results in technical reports and notes
• Prepare and deliver presentations at reviews and meetings
The Structural Analyst will work closely with others to:
• Analyze the design of structural/mechanical/optical systems and their interconnections
• Establish and monitor telescope mount structure functional, performance, and operational requirements
• Provide and check analysis work of others and sign off completed analysis for adherence to specifications, and engineering codes and standards
• Conceptualize, develop, and complete detailed designs of hardware for various mechanical applications that address requirements and constraints
• Interact productively with vendors, customers, and other associates outside the work unit
• Maintain updated documentation in a configuration management system
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Master’s degree in Structural Engineering or a closely related field
• Minimum of 7 years of relevant experience in the analysis of static and dynamic structures
• Ability to conduct analytical studies from first principles
• A thorough understanding of Finite Element Analysis (FEA)
• Working Knowledge of NX NASTRAN and FEMAP
• Working knowledge of structural concrete, steel, and aluminum
• Working knowledge of motors, bearings, brakes and drives
• Willingness and ability to travel to foreign and domestic vendor, partner, and observatory locations during the GMT design and fabrication phases
• Experience and ability to prepare documents, reports, and oral presentations
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a group setting
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Previous experience working on large scale projects
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Working knowledge of steel and concrete codes
• Previous experience working on telescope systems
• Working knowledge of and practical application of the ASME Y14.5M Dimensioning and Tolerancing standards.
• SolidWorks CAD software
Applicants should send a Letter of Interest and a Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only electronic submissions will be accepted. Please refer to the Job Number in the letter and in the email subject line.
GMTO is an equal opportunity employer.