Title: SolidWorks Modeling and CAD Specialist
Type: Full time, professional.
Location: GMT Project Office, Pasadena CA
This exciting job opportunity is with the GMTO (Giant Magellan Telescope Organization) located in Pasadena, California. The GMT is being developed by a group of leading university and research centers from across the globe. The GMTO Corporation has been formed to design, construct and operate the GMT Observatory which will be located in the Andean mountains at Las Campanas Peak in Chile. The GMT is the next generation astronomical observatory with the capability to have 10 times the resolution of the Hubble Space Telescope. The project is entering the formal construction phase with scientific operations expected to begin in 2021-2022.
BE A PART OF TRANSFORMING OUR UNDERSTANDING OF THE UNIVERSE
The successful candidate will be an employee of the GMTO Corporation and must be able to meet pre-employment requirements including any background and reference checks and the successful candidate must be a US citizen or eligible to work in the United States and at least 18 years of age. GMTO provides competitive salaries and a generous benefits package.
The System Engineering Team located at the GMTO office in Pasadena, CA is pursuing a highly qualified SolidWorks Modeling and CAD Specialist to work on the detailed design of the Giant Magellan Telescope and ancillary hardware.
The SolidWorks Modeling and CAD Specialist will implement and manage the SolidWorks 3D model for the mechanical apparatus, equipment, assemblies, mechanical components, and other parts for the complex structures of the telescope and its enclosure.
The selected candidate will work with scientists, engineers, and designers to establish and maintain the GMT baseline design 3D models in SolidWorks according to best practices of configuration management. They will also work closely and collaboratively with the EPDM administrator and the Configuration Management team to develop and improve CAD and EPDM processes, procedures, drawing templates, standards, workflows and other related processes. The selected candidate will also check drawings and models from the subsystem designers and support the review and approval process.
• Build and manage large, integrated, layered models in the SolidWorks Enterprise Data Management (EPDM) system
• Manage and maintain documentation in the SolidWorks EPDM system
• Incorporate advanced knowledge of 3D CAD modeling of design concepts using SolidWorks CAD software and other design tools
• Work with scientists, engineers, and designers to understand multiple project requirements; identify and independently or jointly resolve problems and assure completion of design/drafting responsibilities on schedule
• Interact productively with contractors, partners, and other associates outside the work unit
• Implement and perform the process to check design and drafting work of others and approve completed drawings for adherence to layouts, specifications, and basic engineering drafting standards
• Provide regular progress reporting to engineering management
• Contribute to innovative design concepts for a variety of mechanical components and systems
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Minimum of an AA degree in Mechanical Design or related field
• Minimum of 10 years of experience in the mechanical engineering field working on large complex projects
• Extensive working knowledge of SolidWorks EPDM software, including SolidWorks handling of 2D drawings and 3D models of complex large assemblies
• Advanced knowledge of the standards, procedures, and techniques related to drafting and design
• Extensive experience in translating CAD file formats from other CAD packages to SolidWorks and vice versa
• Advanced working knowledge of and practical application of the ASME Y14.5M Dimensioning and Tolerancing standards
• Demonstrated skill in working collaboratively as a member of a project team with engineers, scientists and designers
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills: effective communication, highly organized, reliable and highly motivated, team player, non-biased, and proactive in dealing with others
• Demonstrated communication skills: verbal, written and presentation
• Demonstrated ability to be flexible in an environment of changing priorities and working on multiple areas of the design and working with multiple engineering teams at GMTO and contractors
• Experience in reviewing and verifying the accuracy and approving work performed by peers and other engineering disciplines as needed
• Extensive experience effectively managing an EPDM configuration management system
• Experience with machine shop processes and fabrication techniques
• Extensive experience utilizing Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Desirable Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Certified SolidWorks Professional (CSWP), or equivalent
• Previous experience with 3D printing to generate models and prototypes
• Previous experience working on telescope hardware systems or optical hardware systems
• Previous experience working on large scale construction projects
Applicants should send a Letter of Interest and a Resume to email@example.com.
Only electronic submissions will be accepted. Please refer to the Job Number in the letter and in the email subject line.
GMTO is an equal opportunity employer.