Title: Senior Model-Based Systems Engineer (MBSE)
Type: Full time, professional.
Location: GMT Project Office, Pasadena CA
This exciting job opportunity is with the GMTO (Giant Magellan Telescope Organization) located in Pasadena, California. The GMT is being developed by a group of leading university and research centers from across the globe. The GMTO Corporation has been formed to design, construct and operate the GMT Observatory which will be located in the Andean mountains at Las Campanas Peak in Chile. The GMT is the next generation astronomical observatory with the capability to have 10 times the resolution of the Hubble Space Telescope. The project is entering the formal construction phase with scientific operations expected to begin in 2021-2022.
BE A PART OF TRANSFORMING OUR UNDERSTANDING OF THE UNIVERSE
The successful candidate will be an employee of the GMTO Corporation and must be able to meet pre-employment requirements including any background and reference checks and the successful candidate must be a US citizen or eligible to work in the United States and at least 18 years of age. GMTO provides competitive salaries and a generous benefits package.
Reporting to the Project Systems Engineer, the Senior Model-Based Systems Engineer (SE) will be a key member of the team defining and implementing the GMT system model. The successful applicant will use Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) approaches to develop project systems engineering products using SysML and related MBSE tools. The SE will use MBSE tools to create, capture, maintain, and visualize needed views of the GMT system model and to document and communicate resulting system designs. He/she will be able to provide both traditional systems engineering functional and process support as well as MBSE support.
Duties will also include working with other team members to ensure the requirements, interfaces, functions, behaviors, and models are understood and aligned, and ensuring that models and documentation are updated as needed to establish and maintain configuration control. Where appropriate, the SE will contribute to the automation of MBSE processes and products with other GMT project domains, including project management, engineering disciplines, and project administration.
The SE will be called upon to write programmatic and technical reports and make presentations in his/her area of responsibility at project reviews and conferences. This position will require limited travel to various GMTO member locations and vendor facilities.
• Eliciting and capturing stakeholder needs in the system model
• Developing and extending the system model using existing requirements, interface documentation, and related design and systems engineering documents
• Provide MBSE and SysML expertise and related support to the entire systems engineering team
• Developing new documentation for requirements, interfaces, error budgets, key performance parameters, and operational concepts,
• Creating software applications to process model data and automate modeling tasks
• Taking on additional model-based and traditional systems engineering tasks as needed.
• Maintaining and processing SE documentation for configuration and change control
• Preparing and delivering programmatic and technical reports and presentations for reviews and conferences.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• A BS degree in engineering, physics, math, or an equivalent technical discipline with 10 years of relevant experience in systems engineering
• Knowledge of Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) and associated standards, processes, and methods
• Working knowledge of SysML and associated standards and best programming practices
• Willingness to travel to foreign and domestic vendor, partner, and observatory locations
• Strong analytical ability with demonstrated written and oral communication skills in English.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• A Master’s degree in systems engineering with a substantial MBSE component
• Working knowledge of Magic Draw and Cameo by No Magic
• Knowledge of astronomical telescopes and observatories
• Knowledge and experience executing systems engineering efforts according to international standards (e.g. INCOSE, ISO/IEC 15288:2008)
Applicants should send a Letter of Interest and a Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only electronic submissions will be accepted. Please refer to the Job Number in the letter and in the email subject line.
GMTO is an equal opportunity employer.