Title: Senior Engineer
Type: Full time
Location: GMT Project Office, Pasadena CA
This exciting job opportunity is with the GMTO (Giant Magellan Telescope Organization) located in Pasadena, California. The GMT is being developed by a group of leading university and research centers from across the globe. The GMTO Corporation has been formed to design, construct and operate the GMT Observatory which will be located in the Andean mountains at Las Campanas Peak in Chile. The GMT is the next generation astronomical observatory with the capability to have 10 times the resolution of the Hubble Space Telescope. The project is entering the formal construction phase with scientific operations expected to begin in 2021-2022.
BE A PART OF TRANSFORMING OUR UNDERSTANDING OF THE UNIVERSE
The successful candidate will be an employee of the GMTO Corporation and must be able to meet pre-employment requirements including any background and reference checks and the successful candidate must be a US citizen or eligible to work in the United States and at least 18 years of age. GMTO provides competitive salaries and a generous benefits package.
The GMT project is seeking a Senior Engineer to assist in the development and procurement of mechanical systems in the Primary Mirror Subsystem of the GMTO. The successful candidate will help a small team of engineers to design, procure, integrate, and test actuator and position sensing subassemblies that are a part of the GMTO primary mirror segment support system. The Senior Engineer must be experienced in working with multidisciplinary teams that have successfully delivered complex, high-precision mechanical systems. The Senior Engineer will work with systems that must position several tons of glass to 1 µm accuracy. A knowledge of HVAC cooling systems will be desirable for this position. The candidate must be capable of working closely with suppliers, partners, and other technical teams to develop and procure the various subassemblies in the system. The Senior Engineer will be responsible for writing technical reports, requirements documentation, statements of work, and will be responsible for presentations in their area of responsibility at project meetings, reviews, and conferences. Experience with SolidWorks and a working knowledge of GD&T are required in this position. This position will require travel to various GMTO member locations and vendor premises, as well as the GMT site in Chile.
• Develop design requirements documentation, interface control documents, detailed drawings, and specifications of the M1 subsystem subassemblies.
• Participate in the procurement process for engineering services and fabrication of these systems, including identification of potential vendors/suppliers, preparation of technical specifications and statements of work, participation in the selection process, and monitoring of work.
• Provide leadership for a small team of engineers to integrate, test, and commission mechanical systems in the laboratory and on the telescope.
• Write and/or review procedures for assembly and test operations for component level and assembly level mirror support components and the thermal control system. Analyze results and document in test reports.
• Ensure compliance with GMT quality assurance and safety requirements within their area of responsibility.
• Write technical reports and prepare and deliver technical presentations.
• Support the preparation of top-down and bottom-up system error budgets related to their mechanical systems.
• Evaluation and checking of technical drawings
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• A minimum of an MS degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or equivalent technical discipline with 10 years of experience with the design and construction of large mechanical systems.
• Demonstrated experience in the design and delivery of large, complex mechanical systems for scientific or defense applications.
• Strong analytical ability with demonstrated written and oral communication skills.
• Experience in project engineering and/or project management.
• A cooperative team player who strives to make the team(s) successful.
• Ability to perform as an integrated product team lead.
• Knowledge of technical contract management and quality assurance methods
• Excellent knowledge of the SolidWorks and the EPDM software packages
• Experience using GD&T in technical drawings
• Flexibility to work outside of core business hours and travel to GMTO member locations, vendor premises and the GMT site in Chile when necessary. Ability to work at an altitude of 8000 feet for extended periods
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Experience of 10+ years with the design and construction of precision electro-optic systems
• Demonstrated leadership and management skills in large projects and/or international project collaborations.
• Knowledge of optics fabrication and testing methods.
• Familiarity with geometric optics, metrology systems, and optical alignment tools.
• Experience in product and quality assurance requirements for optical systems.
Applicants should send a Letter of Interest and a Resume to email@example.com.
Only electronic submissions will be accepted. Please refer to the Job Number in the letter and in the email subject line.
GMTO is an equal opportunity employer.