Title: Senior Contracts Manager
Element: Contracts & Procurement
Type: Full time
Location: GMT Project Office, Pasadena CA
This exciting job opportunity is with the GMTO (Giant Magellan Telescope Organization) located in Pasadena, California. The GMT is being developed by a group of leading university and research centers from across the globe. The GMTO Corporation has been formed to design, construct and operate the GMT Observatory which will be located in the Andean mountains at Las Campanas Peak in Chile. The GMT is the next generation astronomical observatory with the capability to have 10 times the resolution of the Hubble Space Telescope. The project is entering the formal construction phase with scientific operations expected to begin in 2023.
BE A PART OF TRANSFORMING OUR UNDERSTANDING OF THE UNIVERSE
The successful candidate will be an employee of the GMTO Corporation and must be able to meet pre-employment requirements including any background and reference checks and the successful candidate must be a US citizen or eligible to work in the United States and at least 18 years of age. GMTO provides competitive salaries and a generous benefits package.
Applicants should send a Letter of Interest and a Resume to email@example.com.
Only electronic submissions will be accepted. Please refer to the Job Number in the letter and in the email subject line.
GMTO is an equal opportunity employer.
The Senior Contracts Manager is responsible for all aspects of contracting and purchasing and to ensure the successful acquisition of a high value, specialized and technical procurements required for the completion of the Giant Magellan Telescope (GMT).
This position will be responsible for managing all major purchases and contracts associated with design and build of the GMT. They will be a key position within the Contracts and Procurement Department and to also to Senior Management in developing procurement strategies and ensuring consistency with company policies, procedures and best practices. GMT suppliers will include domestic and international businesses, educational institutions and non-profit organizations.
This role reports to the company’s Contracts Officer.
• Accountable for successful solicitations and awards for all large dollar contracts & procurements relating to the GMT design and build
• Assist in developing sourcing strategies, bid methodologies, and selection criteria
• Responsible for request for procurement strategies, proposal development, solicitations, negotiations and documentation of proposed awards, contractual agreements, award and contract administration activities
• Partner and provide guidance to internal technical staff concerning contract and procurement issues including the preparation of statements of work, technical requirements and the technical management of contracts
• Provide advice and guidance to company management on contractual rights, risks, and obligations
• Establish critical contract terms and conditions.
• Help set procurement strategies of large strategic procurements relating to the GMT
• Ensure compliance with corporate policy, procedures and applicable laws
• Work with key stakeholders including GMTO General Counsel on matters requiring legal review and assisting in the preparations and presentation of transactions to the Board of Directors as required
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration and MBA, C.P.M or similar degree required.
• 10 to 15 years of successful experience in Contract Management and Administration with 8-10 years working directly on major high dollar construction or scientific/technical projects
• Excellent knowledge of contract and procurement activities including contract formation, negotiation, post-award administration, close-out and terminations.
• In-depth knowledge of various contract types (e.g., Design, Design/Build, Design-Bid-Build, Time & Materials, Fixed Price, Cost Reimbursable, Master Service Agreements, Task Orders, etc.) and their respective pricing structure and terms.
• Experience managing the competitive bidding process including and formal supplier solicitations (e.g., RFPs, RFQs, etc.), establishing bid evaluation criteria and strategies to arrive at best value and fair and reasonable price.
• Experience in the development, review, evaluation and negotiation of terms and conditions and engineering, contractor, supplier proposals.
• Experience with large commercial, one-of-a-kind, design/build and international/non-US procurements and contracts.
• Working knowledge of U.S. Export Administration Regulations (EAR)
• Excellent commercial and business negotiation skills
• Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills
• Excellent ability to work with others
• Ability to work and manage with interdisciplinary teams to ensure contractual requirements are met
• Computer literate with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• High standard of ethics
• Strong sense of accountability and leadership
• Well-organized and able to multitask
• A self-starter with the ability to work independently, under pressure and meet deadlines
• Ability to participate in domestic and international site visits
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Juris Doctor Degree is desirable
• Extensive knowledge of commercial procurement laws, practices, standards, Uniform Commercial Code (UCC), incoterms
• Understanding of Project Management activities
• Strong background in international and commercial contracts and complex purchases
• Experience with Purchasing and Contracts software applications
• Ability to speak, read and write in Spanish