Title: Project Resource Analyst
Element: Project Business Office
Type: Full time, professional
Location: GMT Project Office, Pasadena CA
This exciting job opportunity is with the GMTO (Giant Magellan Telescope Organization) located in Pasadena, California. The GMT is being developed by a group of leading university and research centers from across the globe. The GMTO Corporation has been formed to design, construct and operate the GMT Observatory which will be located in the Andean mountains at Las Campanas Peak in Chile. The GMT is the next generation astronomical observatory with the capability to have 10 times the resolution of the Hubble Space Telescope. The project is entering the formal construction phase with scientific operations expected to begin in 2021-2022.
BE A PART OF TRANSFORMING OUR UNDERSTANDING OF THE UNIVERSE
The successful candidate will be an employee of the GMTO Corporation and must be able to meet pre-employment requirements including any background and reference checks and the successful candidate must be a US citizen or eligible to work in the United States and at least 18 years of age. GMTO provides competitive salaries and a generous benefits package.
The Project Business Office (PBO) is pursuing a Project Resource Analyst to work on the numerous aspects of the cost reporting requirements of the GMTO Project.
Under minimal supervision, and reporting to the Project Business Manager (PBM), this position will require autonomy and self-drive, and it will consist of but not be limited to; creating, tracking and issuing monthly, quarterly and yearly project cost status reports, time-phased budgeting reports, developing and maintaining the project Work Breakdown Structures (WBS), preparing cost forecasts, updating project documents, and conducting in depth analysis of project performance including Earned Value Management (EVM). This position will also require routine communication and recommendations to Project Element Managers (PEMs) and Control Account Managers (CAMs).
• Develop and maintain software tools necessary for integration of Cost and Schedule plans, progress, and actual spending.
• Be the point of contact for Deltek Cobra software and MS Project integration.
• Develop other business intelligence tools for reporting to CAMs and PEMs and project management as necessary.
• Develop automation of systems from financial reporting to project reporting
• Assist Senior Cost Analyst and PBM on maintaining WBS accounts in both the accounting system and the project controls system.
• Maintain monthly reporting financial records.
• Be the check point for the transfer of expenses into and out of WBS accounts
• Perform validation and verification of accounting data into WBS accounts
• Investigate project variances and assist CAMs/PEMs with variance reports
• Compile information for internal and external auditors, as required
• Maintain workforce reporting and status (hourly, FTE, and expense)
• Assist in monthly, quarterly and annual reviews
• Assist in developing time-phased budgets in accordance with planned schedules
• Conducts in-depth analysis of project performance including EVM, publish reports and make recommendations to PEMs and CAMs.
• Participate as an essential team member on teams inside and outside the PBO, project, activity or function. Ability to travel to subcontractor facilities if required
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Minimum of a BS degree in Finance, Economics, Engineering, Business or related discipline with a minimum of 5 years of experience
• Experience with Deltek Cobra is a must
• Experience with integrating MS Project to Cobra is a must
• Advanced software skills with Excel and Deltek Cobra
• Experience performing effective data mining-research and strong analytical skills
• Experience with resource management, workforce planning, and forecasting
• Ability to interface effectively with project business team, technical management, and corporate office
• Some understanding of accounting processes, procedures, and internal controls
• Ability to use independent judgment in evaluation of issues and solutions, learn new tasks quickly and participate in the audit process
• Ability to manage competing priorities with excellent organizational skills and to work in a team environment or independently
• Previous experience working in a project team environment with project reporting integrated cost/schedule planning and various performance measurements techniques
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Master’s degree in Finance, Economics, Engineering, Business or related discipline with a minimum of 2 years of experience
• Advanced software skills with VBA, Access, and PowerBI
• Advanced knowledge of EVM best business practices, policies and procedures across a range of applications
• Experience with Microsoft Dynamics SL
• Experience with project and cost accounting
• Experience with cost/schedule baseline change control processes
• Previous experience working in a highly technical environment with engineers, physicists, scientists on large construction type projects
• Previous experience working in Aerospace or Astrophysics industry.
• Exercise sound judgement and discretion
• Comfortable, and even excited about, working outside your comfort zone. An ability to thrive in a collaborative team first environment
Applicants should send a Letter of Interest and a Resume to email@example.com.
Only electronic submissions will be accepted. Please refer to the Job Number in the letter and in the email subject line.
GMTO is an equal opportunity employer.