Title: Project Planner/Scheduler
Type: Full time, professional.
Location: GMT Project Office, Pasadena CA
This exciting job opportunity is with the GMTO (Giant Magellan Telescope Organization) located in Pasadena, California. The GMT is being developed by a group of leading university and research centers from across the globe. The GMTO Corporation has been formed to design, construct and operate the GMT Observatory which will be located in the Andean mountains at Las Campanas Peak in Chile. The GMT is the next generation astronomical observatory with the capability to have 10 times the resolution of the Hubble Space Telescope. The project is entering the formal construction phase with scientific operations expected to begin in 2023.
BE A PART OF TRANSFORMING OUR UNDERSTANDING OF THE UNIVERSE
The successful candidate will be an employee of the GMTO Corporation and must be able to meet pre-employment requirements including any background and reference checks and the successful candidate must be a US citizen or eligible to work in the United States and at least 18 years of age. GMTO provides competitive salaries and a generous benefits package.
The Project Business Office is pursuing a Project Planner/Scheduler to work on the numerous aspects of the scheduling, planning, analysis and reporting required by the GMTO.
Under minimal supervision and reporting to the Project Business Manager (PBM), this position will consist of but not limited to; creation, maintenance, analysis and reporting of all project schedules, in support of internal and external the reporting.
This position will require the successful candidate to be a team member capable of working inside and outside the organization, project, activity or function, and to be an autonomous and self-driven individual.
The following describes the Roles, Responsibilities, Accountabilities, and Authority of the Project Planner/Scheduler position, which has leadership, technical product deliverables, and cross functional coordination with other organizations and departments.
Leadership (Process, Guidance, and Strategy)
• Accountable for working with project management team for developing maintaining, analyzing and reporting all project schedules.
• Spearhead and ensure adherence to best business practices and procedures for preparing and maintaining baseline schedules.
• Establish ground rules and assumptions, and ensure compliance with EVMS guidelines developed by PBM.
• Maintain quality assurance and controls on project schedules.
• Identify & validate the critical path and run performance and health check metrics.
• Advise senior management with unique approaches for solving complex scheduling challenges.
• Ensure the Integrated Master Schedule (IMS) incorporates all dependencies, aligns to resource availability, and identifies and aligns program milestones with contractual need dates.
• Assist the Project Business Manager and Project Manager with any ad hoc reviews
Technical Products (Deliverables, Artifacts, and Documents)
• Prepare the IMS according to the project WBS and scope, depicting dependencies and logic among various elements of the project.
• Read and interpret plans, proposal specifications, and drawings to determine scope of work and required contents is represented in the schedule.
• Prepare schedule progress and performance narratives describing the status of all elements to project management.
• Perform analysis on progress of various schedule related data (e.g., slack reports, receivables/deliverables, baseline vs. actual dates, key milestone status, earned value performance, critical path analysis, etc.) required for weekly/monthly/quarterly internal and external customer reporting.
• Monitor and develop work arounds utilizing schedule acceleration techniques to achieve additional margin.
• Work with project team on what-if scenarios to analyze impacts of differing means and methods for design and fabrication.
• Publish reports and provide recommendations to Control Account Managers.
• Incorporate schedule changes when the project Change Control Board approves changes.
• Integrate subcontractor and vendor schedules for the delivery of services, equipment and materials.
Coordination between and among functions in organization
• Interface internally with GMTO and externally with subcontractor team members.
• Participate in meetings and decision making inside and outside the organization, project, activity or function.
• Collaborate with procurement team regarding schedule reporting requirements for subcontracts.
• Mentor and coach others internal and external to the business organization/function.
• Interact with various departments to maintain open lines of communication.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering and related disciplines
• 5-7 years of project planning/scheduling experience.
• Must have a wide range of experience working with multiple levels of project management, engineers, scientists and must have an extensive understanding and an applied use of advanced principles, theories, concepts and techniques in project schedule development, CPM (Critical Path Methodology), and the development of cost/schedule integration.
• Experience in network schedule development working in a project team environment, using advanced scheduling techniques such as resource loading, critical path analysis, and slack analysis.
• Experience in EVM or other performance measurement techniques.
• Working knowledge of MS Project, MS Office (Word and Excel).
• Experience in planning for design/engineering, fabrication/assembly, delivery, and commissioning.
• Ability to manage competing priorities with excellent organizational skills and to work in a team environment or independently.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• MS degree in Engineering and related discipline
• Minimum of 2 years related project planning/scheduling experience.
• Experience working in a highly technical environment with managers, engineers, and scientists on large construction type projects.
• Highly desired if prior experience working in telescopes or industries such as aerospace, civil construction, logistics, manufacturing, and research and development.
• Exercise sound judgement and discretion.
• Comfortable, and even excited about, working outside your comfort zone.
• An ability to thrive in a collaborative team first environment.
Applicants should send a Letter of Interest and a Resume to email@example.com.
Only electronic submissions will be accepted. Please refer to the Job Number in the letter and in the email subject line.
GMTO is an equal opportunity employer.