Title: Payroll Accounting Manager
Element: Finance and Accounting
Type: Full time
Location: GMT Project Office, Pasadena CA
This exciting job opportunity is with the GMTO (Giant Magellan Telescope Organization) located in Pasadena, California. The GMT is being developed by a group of leading university and research centers from across the globe. The GMTO Corporation has been formed to design, construct and operate the GMT Observatory which will be located in the Andean mountains at Las Campanas Peak in Chile. The GMT is the next generation astronomical observatory with the capability to have 10 times the resolution of the Hubble Space Telescope. The project is entering the formal construction phase with scientific operations expected to begin in 2023.
BE A PART OF TRANSFORMING OUR UNDERSTANDING OF THE UNIVERSE
The successful candidate will be an employee of the GMTO Corporation and must be able to meet pre-employment requirements including any background and reference checks and the successful candidate must be a US citizen or eligible to work in the United States and at least 18 years of age. GMTO provides competitive salaries and a generous benefits package.
Reporting to the Controller, the Payroll Accounting Manager will primarily manage and coordinate activities of staff and payroll systems at the GMTO office located in Pasadena, CA.
Other duties include overseeing the compilation and preparation of other payroll data such as retirement and insurance, reviewing and approving payroll deductions, interpreting company policies and government regulations in connection with payroll procedures, and preparation of reports.
The successful candidate will have exceptional accounting and financial skills and a basic knowledge of HR law and practices as it relates to payroll. They will also be detailed-oriented, pro-active and comfortable in a hands-on, small business environment.
• Maintain payroll information by collecting, calculating, and entering of data and ensures accurate interface with timekeeping application
• Enter semi-monthly payroll entries into the Accounting system
• Update payroll records by reviewing changes in salaries, exemptions, 401K contributions, insurance coverage, job titles, and department/division transfers
• Pay employees by directing the production and issuance of paychecks or electronic transfers to bank accounts
• Review semi-monthly reports (payroll register, payroll liabilities, employee earnings report, etc.) prepared by the payroll provider
• Balance the payroll accounts by resolving payroll discrepancies
• Review quarterly and annual federal and state payroll returns
• Preparation, reconciliation and input of semi-monthly 401K contributions into record-keeper website
• Prepare annual 401K census schedule for the Form 5500
• Annually submit information to payroll provider for Affordable Care Act filings (Form 1095-C)
• Provide payroll information by answering questions and requests
• Ensure timekeeping application is up to date with current information
• Maintain payroll guidelines by writing and updating policies and procedures
• Basic knowledge of HR law and practices as it relates to payroll
• Maintain employee confidence and protects payroll operations by keeping information confidential
• Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies
• Contribute to accounting team effort by exercising flexibility and recommending processes to improve efficiencies for the entire organization
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Bachelor degree in Accounting or Business
• 5+ years of experience
• Previous experience in independently managing payroll preparation and processing
• Detailed, proactive and cooperative
• Experience with Paychex or similar payroll provider
• Proficient in MS Excel
• Experience working in a hands-on, small business environment
• Reporting skills
• Managing processes, data entry management, compensation and wage structure, 401K, insurance, fringe benefits
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Experience in Microsoft Dynamics SL
• Experience or knowledge of Stratustime (Paychex timekeeping application)
Applicants should send a Letter of Interest and a Resume to email@example.com.
Only electronic submissions will be accepted. Please refer to the Job Number in the letter and in the email subject line.
GMTO is an equal opportunity employer.