Title: Mechanical Technician
Type: Full time
Location: GMT Project Office, Pasadena CA
This exciting job opportunity is with the GMTO (Giant Magellan Telescope Organization) located in Pasadena, California. The GMT is being developed by a group of leading university and research centers from across the globe. The GMTO Corporation has been formed to design, construct and operate the GMT Observatory which will be located in the Andean mountains at Las Campanas Peak in Chile. The GMT is the next generation astronomical observatory with the capability to have 10 times the resolution of the Hubble Space Telescope. The project is entering the formal construction phase with scientific operations expected to begin in 2021-2022.
BE A PART OF TRANSFORMING OUR UNDERSTANDING OF THE UNIVERSE
The successful candidate will be an employee of the GMTO Corporation and must be able to meet pre-employment requirements including any background and reference checks and the successful candidate must be a US citizen or eligible to work in the United States and at least 18 years of age. GMTO provides competitive salaries and a generous benefits package.
The GMT project is seeking a Mechanical Technician to test, integrate, fabricate, and maintain various types of mechanical assemblies.
The successful candidate will support a small team of engineers to design, procure, integrate, and test actuator and position sensing subassemblies that are a part of the GMTO primary mirror segment support system. This position’s primary responsibility will be writing procedures, accurately performing measurement of components, assembling precision actuators including load and displacement sensors, performing calibration of actuators, assembling pneumatic control systems, testing of components and system level assemblies.
The Mechanical Technician must be experienced working in multidisciplinary teams that have successfully delivered complex, high-precision mechanical systems. They must also be effective working in a team environment with technicians, mechanical and electrical engineers and other technical teams to assemble and test the various subassemblies of the system. Experience with Solid Works or similar CAD software, ability to read assembly and manufacturing drawings and a working knowledge of GD&T are required in this position. Proven experience in the use of hand tools, metrology tools, power tools is required. Experience with laser trackers and theodolites is desirable. Must keep the lab areas clean and organized. Experience and skills in fabrication such as welding, machine and metrology tools is a plus.
• Perform receiving inspection and record keeping of components.
• Perform assembly and test of actuators and other similar devices and thermal control systems.
• Design and fabricate or procure support equipment and tooling as needed to support assembly and test of components and subassemblies.
• Perform testing with and calibration on various hardware.
• Write procedures for assembly, testing, metrology and alignment of mechanical hardware.
• Perform routine and preventive maintenance on equipment and systems
• Coordinate with contractors and other GMT personnel to perform work activities at the GMT site.
• Create and maintain technical documentation.
• Maintain and organize lab space and tools
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• AS degree in mechanical technology or equivalent training.
• A minimum of 3 years of experience ability for precision work utilizing hand tools, metrology equipment, power tools.
• Experience building mechanical assemblies, including bolted assemblies, bonded assemblies, precision assemblies, use of specialized tooling.
• Proficient at using Solid Works or a similar CAD software, GD&T, reading assembly and manufacturing drawings.
• Experience with computer hardware computer hardware and software for data recording and test data analysis.
• Ability to implement and trouble-shoot mechanical and pneumatic equipment.
• Excellent interpersonal, teamwork, decision-making and judgment skills are necessary.
• Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• High level user of Excel, Word, PowerPoint for data analysis, and reports.
• Be a cooperative team player that strives to make the team(s) successful.
• Must have a proactive attitude towards safety.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Previous experience in an astronomical research or scientific environment.
• Experience with operations, test and maintenance of scientific instrumentation or other precision opto-mechanical systems.
• Previous experience in the following areas: Solid Works design, procedure writing, procurement, precision assembly with lapped or shimmed assemblies, laser tracker or theodolite measurement.
• Excellent oral and written English communication skills
• Experience with Matlab programming and analysis is a plus
Applicants should send a Letter of Interest and a Resume to email@example.com.
Only electronic submissions will be accepted. Please refer to the Job Number in the letter and in the email subject line.
GMTO is an equal opportunity employer.