Title: Electronics and Controls Engineer
Element: Software and Controls
Type: Full time
Location: GMT Project Office, Pasadena CA
This exciting job opportunity is with the GMTO (Giant Magellan Telescope Organization) located in Pasadena, California. The GMT is being developed by a group of leading university and research centers from across the globe. The GMTO Corporation has been formed to design, construct and operate the GMT Observatory which will be located in the Andean mountains at Las Campanas Peak in Chile. The GMT is the next generation astronomical observatory with the capability to have 10 times the resolution of the Hubble Space Telescope. The project is entering the formal construction phase with scientific operations expected to begin in 2023.
BE A PART OF TRANSFORMING OUR UNDERSTANDING OF THE UNIVERSE
The successful candidate will be an employee of the GMTO Corporation and must be able to meet pre-employment requirements including any background and reference checks and the successful candidate must be a US citizen or eligible to work in the United States and at least 18 years of age. GMTO provides competitive salaries and a generous benefits package.
The Electronics and Controls Engineer will be part of the Software and Controls Group and will be responsible for designing, implementing and testing control electronics and hardware related with the GMT telescope control system.
The successful candidate will work closely with the software and hardware engineers to provide high-quality control components to the telescope. To be able to recommend and implement solutions appropriate to the scale of the project, the candidate is expected to keep up to date with current trends and tools in modern distributed industrial control electronics. This position will report to the Software and Controls Manager.
• Design, implement, test and review electronics and control hardware
• Define and review hardware and electronics standards
• Specify and review requirements for telescope subsystems
• Define and manage interfaces with telescope subsystems, instruments and external contractors
• Design and build prototypes for the control interfaces
• Review, test and accept electronic systems at the observatory or at contractor facilities
• Promote standardization, modularity, remote monitoring and control using modern industrial solutions
• Promote and advocate safety improvement initiatives especially within the area of electrical safety hazards
• Install and setup required software and hardware
• Work collaboratively with other hardware and software engineers
• Provide reports on progress and problems
• Write technical reports, manuals and support documentation
• Prepare and deliver presentations at project reviews and conferences
• Generate purchase requisitions to procure new equipment and develop equipment and subsystems spare procurement plans
• Support developers and community on support forums, mailing lists, wikis, etc.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• BS degree in Electronics or Electrical Engineering, or closely related field
• 5 years of relevant experience with electromechanical control systems on complex technical projects
• Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
• Ability to work with cross-functional work teams and users
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
• Strong background in the state of the art digital and analog electronics
• Strong understanding and experience with distributed control systems and control theory
• Experience with industrial control, industrial fieldbuses and motion control
• Good knowledge of PLC programming
• Experience with IEC61800, IEC 61131-3, CAN, PLC Open
• Experience with electrical overvoltage/current protections, fuses, breakers, disconnectors
• Knowledgeable in electrical filter theory, RFI, EMI; as well as AC line filtering
• Good knowledge of electronics hardware standards like UL, NFPA, NEMA
• Knowledge of standards and current practices in industrial power electronics, under low/medium voltage
• Good troubleshooting skills and comfortable using various test equipment and tools
• Must be proficient in Matlab, CAD electronic tools, data acquisition and equipment specific programming software
• Willingness and ability to travel
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Experience with ground based telescope control electronics and electrical systems
• Strong understanding and experience with real time control systems and control theory
• Experience with EtherCAT
• Experience with OPC-UA
• Thermal control experience
• Fiber optics installations and deployment for communications
• Experience with Model Based System Engineering (MBSE)
• Experience with SysML
Applicants should send a Letter of Interest and a Resume to email@example.com.
Only electronic submissions will be accepted. Please refer to the Job Number in the letter and in the email subject line.
GMTO is an equal opportunity employer.