Title: Software Release Manager
Type: Full time, professional.
Location: GMT Project Office, Pasadena CA
This exciting job opportunity is with the GMTO (Giant Magellan Telescope Organization) located in Pasadena, California. The GMT is being developed by a group of leading university and research centers from across the globe. The GMTO Corporation has been formed to design, construct and operate the GMT Observatory which will be located in the Andean mountains at Las Campanas Peak in Chile. The GMT is the next generation astronomical observatory with the capability to have 10 times the resolution of the Hubble Space Telescope. The project is entering the formal construction phase with scientific operations expected to begin in 2021-2022.
BE A PART OF TRANSFORMING OUR UNDERSTANDING OF THE UNIVERSE
The successful candidate will be an employee of the GMTO Corporation and must be able to meet pre-employment requirements including any background and reference checks and the successful candidate must be a US citizen or eligible to work in the United States and at least 18 years of age. GMTO provides competitive salaries and a generous benefits package.
The Software Release Manager will be part of the Software and Controls (SWC) team and will be responsible to build, integrate, deploy and deliver the different software releases of the GMT Software and Control System (SWCS). This position will work closely with the software architects and the software developers in order to provide high-quality and high-value software releases to the end users of the GMT Control System.
The Software Release Manager will work with the rest of the Software and Controls (SWC) team to update and maintain the infrastructure of SWC computer platform and will be responsible for some system administration tasks. The Release Manager may also be required to provide support to local or remote software developers.
In order to be able to recommend and implement innovative solutions the Software Release Manager is expected to keep up-to date with current trends and tools in continuous integration and delivery of large software packages. This position will report to the Software and Controls Group Lead.
• Manage the software development environment and the source code
• Setup automatic and periodic builds and integrations
• Coordinate releases with software architects and developers
• Develop scripts and automate workflows and procedures
• Design, develop and perform tests
• Install releases into local or remote computers
• Install and setup required software or hardware
• Provide metrics and software quality information of each release
• Provide reports on progress and problems
• Write technical reports, manuals and support documentation
• Prepare and deliver presentations at project reviews and conferences
• Support developers and community on support forums, mailing lists, wikis, etc.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• MS degree in Computing Science or a related discipline.
• 3 years previous release experience in agile projects
• Advanced knowledge of the software development lifecycle
• Ability to coordinate cross-functional work teams
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
• Git version control tools
• GitHub and Git workflows
• GNU Make & Makefiles
• C++ GNU Compiler
• RPM packages
• YUM / DNF tools
• Bash unix scripting
• Linux administration
• Willingness and ability to travel to foreign and domestic vendor, partner, and observatory locations as the need arises
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Fedora Linux
• Atlassian tools (Jira, Confluence, …)
• Linux network administration
Applicants should send a Letter of Interest and a Resume to email@example.com.
Only electronic submissions will be accepted. Please refer to the Job Number in the letter and in the email subject line.
GMTO is an equal opportunity employer.