Title: Senior Electrical Systems Engineer
Type: Full time
Location: GMT Project Office, Pasadena CA
This exciting job opportunity is with the GMTO (Giant Magellan Telescope Organization) located in Pasadena, California. The GMT is being developed by a group of leading university and research centers from across the globe. The GMTO Corporation has been formed to design, construct and operate the GMT Observatory which will be located in the Andean mountains at Las Campanas Peak in Chile. The GMT is the next generation astronomical observatory with the capability to have 10 times the resolution of the Hubble Space Telescope. The project is entering the formal construction phase with scientific operations expected to begin in 2021-2022.
BE A PART OF TRANSFORMING OUR UNDERSTANDING OF THE UNIVERSE
The successful candidate will be an employee of the GMTO Corporation and must be able to meet pre-employment requirements including any background and reference checks and the successful candidate must be a US citizen or eligible to work in the United States and at least 18 years of age. GMTO provides competitive salaries and a generous benefits package.
Reporting to the Project Systems Engineer, the successful candidate will be responsible for planning and managing the implementation of the distribution of power, ground, lighting utility and signal cabling, including determination of connectors and the capacities and sizing of cables to the telescope subsystems. Interfacing with systems engineers within the GMTO Systems Engineering Element and with subsystem engineers, the selected candidate will also work with the Subsystems to select and place the electronic cabinets and distribution boxes within these subsystems. The Senior Electrical Systems Engineer will coordinate the work of the other project subsystem teams in determining routing of electrical cabling, selecting cabinet hardware, and specifying cables and connectors.
The Senior Electrical Systems Engineer will work with GMT subsystem teams to document the distribution of power, utilities and signals in each subsystem. Power sources include utility company, on-site generators and battery UPS at high, medium and low voltage levels. Experience shall also include the specification and implementation of PLC equipment, PLC programing and remote monitoring sensors. This includes the production of one-line routing diagrams, cable and connector specifications, and lists of cable pin-outs. This position will also require the elaboration of (FMEA) Failure Mode Effects Analysis regarding the components of the system and the development of lists of preferred hardware (drivers, controllers, actuators, sensors, connectors, cable types, chasses and distribution panel hardware). The selected candidate will assist in determining the correct connector configurations for quick disconnects and hands free blind mate connectors to support efficient assembly/disassembly of the subsystems and the telescope interfaces.
The Senior Electrical Systems Engineer will prepare cost estimates for inclusion in project budgets for selected electrical systems. The Senior Electrical Systems Engineer will work with the Safety Manger to manage safety and risk in this area. This position also requires leading the preliminary and final design phases for electrical systems within the telescope enclosure. and he/she will manage the integration, test, and commissioning of the electrical systems for the telescope.
These duties will be performed at a high level with only minimal supervision and direction. The Senior Electrical Systems Engineer will be called upon to write programmatic and technical reports and make presentations in their area of responsibility at project reviews and conferences.
• Manage and document the routing plan for power, utilities and signals throughout the telescope
• Work with other subsystems to document the electrical ICDs (Interface Control Documents) between subsystems
• Specify power sources: utility company, generators and UPS for high, medium and low voltage applications
• Work with subsystems to define remote monitoring requirements and specify sensors
• Participate in the design and review of cable wraps, trays, and conduits for all subsystems
• Specify the size, type, and location of electronics cabinets and junction boxes within the subsystems and throughout the telescope and enclosure.
• Work with subsystems to define PLC and provide programming for specific functions
• Act as the technical point of contact for contractors and other groups in this area
• Prepare status reports for inclusion in the project reports
• Ensure designs comply to all required electrical certifications
• Coordinate enclosure, telescope, and subsystem Assembly, Integration, and Test (AIT) and commissioning plans for the power, utilities and signal distribution systems
• Oversee the installation of cabling systems during assembly, integration, test, and on-site telescope assembly
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• A minimum of a BS degree in Electrical or Electromechanical Engineering, or closely related field with 10 years of relevant experience with electro/mechanical systems on complex technical projects
• Hands-on experience and expertise in planning and implementing the overall design for power distribution, signal cables, and electrical cabinets for large, complex opto/electro/mechanical systems
• Ability to identify potential problem areas for system failures and suggest appropriate resolutions
• Demonstrated leadership, organizational, and management skills
• Ability to prepare documents, reports, and oral presentations
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively within a group setting
• Knowledge of standards and current practices in industrial power, electronics, PLC, and remote monitoring techniques
• Experience using the SolidWorks CAD package for routing and cabling
• Flexibility to work outside of core business hours and travel to GMTO member locations, vendor premises and the GMT site in Chile when necessary to accomplish goals. Ability to work at an altitude of 8000 feet for extended periods
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• A M.S. degree in Electrical or Electromechanical Engineering or closely related field with 8 years of relevant experience with electromechanical systems on complex technical projects
• Experience with ground based telescope electrical systems
Applicants should send a Letter of Interest and a Resume to email@example.com.
Only electronic submissions will be accepted. Please refer to the Job Number in the letter and in the email subject line.
GMTO is an equal opportunity employer.