Title: Real Time Software Engineer
Type: Full time, professional.
Location: GMT Project Office, Pasadena CA
This exciting job opportunity is with the GMTO (Giant Magellan Telescope Organization) located in Pasadena, California. The GMT is being developed by a group of leading university and research centers from across the globe. The GMTO Corporation has been formed to design, construct and operate the GMT Observatory which will be located in the Andean mountains at Las Campanas Peak in Chile. The GMT is the next generation astronomical observatory with the capability to have 10 times the resolution of the Hubble Space Telescope. The project is entering the formal construction phase with scientific operations expected to begin in 2023.
BE A PART OF TRANSFORMING OUR UNDERSTANDING OF THE UNIVERSE
The successful candidate will be an employee of the GMTO Corporation and must be able to meet pre-employment requirements including any background and reference checks and the successful candidate must be a US citizen or eligible to work in the United States and at least 18 years of age. GMTO provides competitive salaries and a generous benefits package.
Reporting to the Software and Controls Manager, the Real Time Software Engineer will be part of the Software and Controls (SWC) team and will be responsible to design, implement and test embedded real-time control applications and tools which are part of the GMT Software and Control System (SWCS).
This position will work closely with the software architects and other software developers in order to provide a high-quality and a high-value control software to the end users of the GMT Control System.
In order to be able to recommend and implement innovative solutions the Real time Software Engineer is expected to keep up-to date with current trends and tools in real time control applications and tools.
• Review and create requirements documentation for real time control systems
• Design and implement control applications for the telescope subsystems
• Design and implement simulators for control systems
• Design and implement model based development tools
• Follow coding standards, builds unit tests, integration tests and deployment scripts
• Work collaboratively with the architecture and development teams
• Install and setup required software and hardware
• Provide reports on progress and problems
• Write technical reports, manuals and support documentation
• Prepare and deliver presentations at project reviews and conferences
• Support developers and community on support forums, mailing lists, wikis, etc.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• MS degree in software engineering or a related discipline
• 3 years previous experience developing real time control applications
• Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
• Ability to work with cross-functional work teams and users
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
• Willingness and ability to travel to foreign and domestic vendor, partner, and observatory locations as the need arises
• Strong understanding and experience with real time control systems and control theory
• Experience with motion control and/or image processing applications
• C/C++ programming in RTOS
• Experience with Linux kernel
• Understanding of RTOS kernel architectures and APIs
• Ability to debug complex systems
• Experience with industrial fieldbuses and network programming
• Familiarity with hardware device management
• UML and RT extensions
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• EtherCAT, CANOpen
• RT-Preempt and other RT Linux extensions
• Python development
• Experience with Model Based Software Engineering based on DSLs
• Experience with SysML
• Experience in agile projects
• Open source community experience is a plus
• Previous experience in telescopes or related sciences is a plus
Applicants should send a Letter of Interest and a Resume to email@example.com.
Only electronic submissions will be accepted. Please refer to the Job Number in the letter and in the email subject line.
GMTO is an equal opportunity employer.