Title: Network and Operations Support Engineer
Type: Full time
Location: GMT Project Office, Pasadena CA
This exciting job opportunity is with the GMTO (Giant Magellan Telescope Organization) located in Pasadena, California. The GMT is being developed by a group of leading university and research centers from across the globe. The GMTO Corporation has been formed to design, construct and operate the GMT Observatory which will be located in the Andean mountains at Las Campanas Peak in Chile. The GMT is the next generation astronomical observatory with the capability to have 10 times the resolution of the Hubble Space Telescope. The project is entering the formal construction phase with scientific operations expected to begin in 2023.
BE A PART OF TRANSFORMING OUR UNDERSTANDING OF THE UNIVERSE
The successful candidate will be an employee of the GMTO Corporation and must be able to meet pre-employment requirements including any background and reference checks and the successful candidate must be a US citizen or eligible to work in the United States and at least 18 years of age. GMTO provides competitive salaries and a generous benefits package.
The Network and Operations Support Engineer is responsible for monitoring systems across a multi-platform environment, answering incoming calls, and processing alerts and tickets while following through a completion or escalation. They will provide technical and troubleshooting assistance for computer hardware and software, mobile devices and other technology tools used by GMTO employees and partners that work at GMTO’s Pasadena Office. Further responsibilities include maintaining detailed documentation and reporting of events and ensure effective follow through until resolution; and complete other data and/or hardware maintenance assigned from managers.
In addition, this position will work closely with IT Management to develop standards and tools for implementing standard configurations for desktop and mobile end-user devices. This role is expected to keep up-to-date with current trends in IT end-user computing and device management in order to be able to recommend innovative solutions for solving problems.
This position may also be required to provide remote support to GMTO employees and partners, who are located at GMTO’s offices in Chile. They will work closely with the users to identify root causes for failures and to analyze and resolve problems quickly using standards-based solutions.
The Network and Operations Support Engineer may require travel to various GMTO member locations, vendor premises, and the GMT site in Chile.
• Ensure stable and reliable ISP network services (e.g. access products, service networks and core network)
• Provides technical hardware and software support, maintenance and troubleshooting of data center systems and services, WAN/LAN network devices
• Day-to-day network performance monitoring
• Network troubleshooting and fault analysis; hardware troubleshooting and repair
• Trouble ticket generation and response; carrier interface and escalations
• Deployment and maintenance of network monitoring, analysis and reporting tools
• Application of configuration changes via our change control systems and processes
• Installation of network hardware and software
• Follow up on outstanding requests and ensure timely resolution
• Create accounts and configure hardware as part of on-boarding process
• Support audio and video equipment in conference rooms (including WebEx and Skype)
• Manage and monitor internal assets to ensure accurate inventory records
• Assist in the development of standard hardware & software configurations for end-user computing devices
• Manage and close service tickets in a timely manner
• Provide user rollout tasks such as installation, imaging, backups and workstation moves
• Answer incoming requests by phones, email, tickets, and in-person (identifies, researches, resolves technical issues)
• Diagnoses and resolves all PC and Mac support issues, including but not limited to, hardware failure, operating system errors, software compatibility issues, and network connectivity
• Follow management guidance, adhering to IT policy and procedure
• Assists with setting up teleconferencing communication system
• Performs other duties as assigned
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Strong understanding of network security definition and design to include Cisco Router/Switch/Firewall, Citrix, Exchange, EMC SAN, load balancers, SCCM, Data Domain and Networker environments
• Experience of working on network equipment in an ISP environment, a large NOC or other such company associated with networking
• Excellent Mac and PC hardware/software configuration experience
• CCNA certified or equivalent level of knowledge
• Basic understanding of the following technologies: IP Protocols (ICMP, UDP, TCP); IP filtering and firewalling; Routing Protocols (BGP, OSPF, ISIS); Quality of Service; MPLS; Ethernet (STP, RSTP, .1q VLANs, QinQ)
• Familiar working in a data center environment
• Knowledge fiber and WDM systems
• Basic Linux/UNIX skills ideal
• Able to analyze problems and conduct effective fault diagnosis and system recovery
• Clear communicator (written and verbal).
• Minimum 5 years of demonstrable ‘hands-on’ IT work experience supporting and resolving diverse PC and Mac desktop software and hardware issues
• Capable of working/using own initiative with minimal supervision
• Keen to contribute ideas, share knowledge and help others develop
• Interest in leading edge technologies. Keen to develop own skills and knowledge
• Knowledge of VPN connectivity and ability to troubleshoot issues
• Excellent customer service skills with ability to interface at all levels of the organization
• Excellent support methodologies for printers, scanners, computer peripherals, mobile devices (iOS, Android)
• Experience in configuration and deployment of Windows 7, Windows 8, Mac OS X, and Office 365
• Strong customer service and troubleshooting skills
• Ability to work as a part of a team
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• A relevant degree in a related technical discipline or at least three years relevant experience in a medium-scale network operations environment is preferred.
• To have worked with imaging tools, e.g. Casper, ImageX
• Working knowledge of Windows Active Directory maintenance and GPO settings
• Working knowledge of Windows Server 2012R2 and Hyper-V
• Working knowledge of Network connectivity – Ethernet, TCP/IP, and VPN
• Working Knowledge of Windows System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM)
Applicants should send a Letter of Interest and a Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only electronic submissions will be accepted. Please refer to the Job Title and Job Number in the letter and in the email subject line.
GMTO is an equal opportunity employer.