Title: Mechanical Drafter
Type: Full time
Location: GMT Project Office, Pasadena CA
This exciting job opportunity is with the GMTO (Giant Magellan Telescope Organization) located in Pasadena, California. The GMT is being developed by a group of leading university and research centers from across the globe. The GMTO Corporation has been formed to design, construct and operate the GMT Observatory which will be located in the Andean mountains at Las Campanas Peak in Chile. The GMT is the next generation astronomical observatory with the capability to have 10 times the resolution of the Hubble Space Telescope. The project is entering the formal construction phase with scientific operations expected to begin in 2021-2022.
BE A PART OF TRANSFORMING OUR UNDERSTANDING OF THE UNIVERSE
The successful candidate will be an employee of the GMTO Corporation and must be able to meet pre-employment requirements including any background and reference checks and the successful candidate must be a US citizen or eligible to work in the United States and at least 18 years of age. GMTO provides competitive salaries and a generous benefits package.
The GMT project is seeking a qualified drafter to work on the drawings for the Primary Mirror Subsystem of the GMTO. This position will provide drafting support for mirror cell, mirror cell components (pneumatic actuators, force and displacement sensors, static supports) and other mechanical structures. This role will produce fully dimensioned 2D drawings with appropriate views, cross sections and notes to produce assembly, interface control and manufacturing drawings.
• Translate 3D models into detailed 2D layout, interface control, fabrication, and assembly drawings
• Apply ANSI Y14.5 Dimensioning and Tolerancing standards to define and communicate part geometry and tolerances
• Maintain updated documentation in an EPDM configuration management system
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Minimum of an AA degree in Mechanical Design or related field and a minimum of 5 years of experience in SolidWorks drafting
• Demonstrated skill working with SolidWorks producing 2D drawings and 3D models
• Demonstrated skill at using AutoCad for 2D drawings
• Working knowledge of SolidWorks PDM for drawing control
• Working knowledge and proven experience applying ANSI Y14.5M Dimensioning and Tolerancing standards to produce assembly, interface control and manufacturing drawings
• Experience working with large assemblies with 500+ parts
• Knowledge and experience with designing and drafting for thick cross section steel weldments
• Advanced knowledge of the standards, procedures, and techniques related to drafting
• Experience with machine shop processes and fabrication techniques
• Experience utilizing Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills: well organized, reliable, and proactive in dealing with others
• Demonstrated communication skills: verbal, written and presentation
• Demonstrated ability to be flexible in an environment of changing priorities and working on multiple areas of the design
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Previous experience working as a member of a project team with engineers, scientists and designers
• Previous experience working on telescope hardware systems or optical hardware systems
• Previous experience working on large scale construction projects
Applicants should send a Letter of Interest and a Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only electronic submissions will be accepted. Please refer to the Job Number in the letter and in the email subject line.
GMTO is an equal opportunity employer.