Title: Contract Technical Manager
Type: Full time
Location: GMT Project Office, Pasadena CA
This exciting job opportunity is with the GMTO (Giant Magellan Telescope Organization) located in Pasadena, California. The GMT is being developed by a group of leading university and research centers from across the globe. The GMTO Corporation has been formed to design, construct and operate the GMT Observatory which will be located in the Andean mountains at Las Campanas Peak in Chile. The GMT is the next generation astronomical observatory with the capability to have 10 times the resolution of the Hubble Space Telescope. The project is entering the formal construction phase with scientific operations expected to begin in 2021-2022.
BE A PART OF TRANSFORMING OUR UNDERSTANDING OF THE UNIVERSE
The successful candidate will be an employee of the GMTO Corporation and must be able to meet pre-employment requirements including any background and reference checks and the successful candidate must be a US citizen or eligible to work in the United States and at least 18 years of age. GMTO provides competitive salaries and a generous benefits package.
The Giant Magellan Telescope is seeking a Contract Technical Manager to assist in the contract management for key elements of the Optics and Opto-Mechanical Subsystems of the GMT telescope. The successful candidate will be a member of a small team of engineers to procure the primary, secondary and tertiary mirrors, the wide field corrector, the equipment associated with productions of the optical coatings and other opto-mechanical components and structures.
The Contract Technical Manager must be experienced in working with multidisciplinary teams that have successfully delivered complex, high-precision mechanical and opto-mechanical systems. This role will be responsible for writing and reviewing statements of work, quality requirements, source evaluations and other procurement related documentation. They will work with the GMT Procurement team and contractors to negotiate the contract cost and schedule and contract terms and conditions. This position will also manage contract performance, schedule, milestones, and deliverables and will be supported by the subsystem engineers for technical issues. In addition, the Contract Technical Manager will generate presentations in their area of responsibility for project meetings, reviews, and conferences.
This role may also support similar work as needed for other subsystems of the telescope. These would include (among others): the telescope mount, M1 mounting and support hardware and various handling equipment required for large precision equipment.
This position will require travel to various GMTO member locations and vendor premises, as well as the GMT site in Chile.
• Manage contracts for engineering services and fabrication of the GMT optics and opto-mechanical equipment, including identification of potential suppliers, preparation of statements of work, lead or support the source selection process, develop procurement documentation and contracts, develop negotiation plans, support GMTO procurement in the negotiation process.
• Manage the technical performance aspects of the contracts to ensure effective communication with the contractors and that the products meet all requirements with-in the cost and schedule of the contract. This will be supported by engineering subject matter experts.
• Ensure contractors comply with GMT quality assurance and safety requirements.
• Write reports and prepare and deliver presentations associated with the contracts for the primary mirrors and mirror support hardware.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• A minimum of an BS degree in Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing or equivalent technical discipline
• At least 10 years of experience in program or contract management for the fabrication of large mechanical and opto-mechanical systems.
• Demonstrated experience in the successful contract management and delivery of large, complex systems for scientific or defense applications.
• Demonstrated high level of written and oral communication skills.
• A cooperative team player who strives to make the team(s) successful.
• Ability to perform as the Contract Technical Manager in an integrated product team.
• Knowledge of technical contract management and quality assurance methods
• Knowledge of EVMS and schedule management
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• An MS degree in Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing or equivalent technical discipline
• 10+ years of experience with the manufacturing and fabrication of precision electro-optic systems
• MBA or equivalent business degree or certification in program management
• Demonstrated leadership and management skills in large projects and/or international project collaborations.
• Experience in product and quality assurance requirements for precision mechanical systems.
• Experience in optical fabrication for large optics
Applicants should send a Letter of Interest and a Resume to email@example.com.
Only electronic submissions will be accepted. Please refer to the Job Number in the letter and in the email subject line.
GMTO is an equal opportunity employer.