Title: Configuration Manager
Type: Full time, professional.
Location: GMT Project Office, Pasadena CA
This exciting job opportunity is with the GMTO (Giant Magellan Telescope Organization) located in Pasadena, California. The GMT is being developed by a group of leading university and research centers from across the globe. The GMTO Corporation has been formed to design, construct and operate the GMT Observatory which will be located in the Andean mountains at Las Campanas Peak in Chile. The GMT is the next generation astronomical observatory with the capability to have 10 times the resolution of the Hubble Space Telescope. The project is entering the formal construction phase with scientific operations expected to begin in 2021-2022.
BE A PART OF TRANSFORMING OUR UNDERSTANDING OF THE UNIVERSE
The successful candidate will be an employee of the GMTO Corporation and must be able to meet pre-employment requirements including any background and reference checks and the successful candidate must be a US citizen or eligible to work in the United States and at least 18 years of age. GMTO provides competitive salaries and a generous benefits package.
Working under minimal supervision and reporting to the Project Systems Engineer, the Configuration Manager is responsible for developing, managing, and facilitating the implementation of a comprehensive Configuration Management (CM) process to be utilized by management and technical project staff, as well as external collaborators and contractors, through all project phases from development to the commissioning of the GMT Observatory. The position also manages the CM support team and is cognizant of their day-to-day activities to ensure system integrity, data capture, user support, and compliance with standard document and change control practices and standards.
The Configuration Manager provides overall responsibility for organizing, updating, and maintaining the documentation archive systems and developing and enforcing documentation standards, policies, and procedures. They oversee the change process, coordinate Change Control Board activities, and work with the project staff to incorporate approved and validated changes into the Observatory baseline. The Configuration Manager is also responsible for conducting configuration audits. This position is responsible for evaluating and improving configuration management processes and policies as well as working with IT to upgrade and develop Configuration Management tools.
Having the ability to be proactive, ask probing questions, and collaborate with a diverse team of engineers and scientists with the technical expertise to grasp complex information and requirements will be a key responsibility of this position. The Configuration Manager also attends technical meeting/reviews when needed to be fully aware of GMT project requirements and assist with any issues that relate to the configuration management process. The selected candidate must also be able to work with subcontractors (locally, remotely or internationally) to ensure compliance and secure the documentation into the CM system.
• Maintain integrity and traceability of the Observatory configuration throughout its life cycle
• Manage the activities of the Configuration Management group, including:
1) Development, implementation, and enforcement of documentation and change control standards by defining workflows, policies, and procedures
2) Management of the document release, change control and waiver process, including cataloging, tracking, approvals, and notifications
3) Archiving of project documentation such as management plans, requirements, tech notes, designs, and models.
4) Supporting users with CM processes and tools
• Effectively control, manage, upgrade and improve CM tools and assets (e.g., application software, production databases, hardcopy deliverables)
• Develop and implement staff training plans on CM processes and tools
• Conducting CM verification audits, collegting metrics and status reporting
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Minimum of a B.S. degree
• 5 years of experience managing CM systems, EPDM tools, data management practices and processes applied to a large complex technical project
• Experience in leading a small configuration management team
• Experience in developing document and data configuration control processes, procedures and metrics
• Experience with requirement management tools, Xerox DocuShare, SolidWorks EPDM, as well as other similar systems/CM tools
• Previous experience managing change control processes to ensure each change is evaluated and dispositioned at the proper authority level
• Must be proficient with MS Outlook, Word, Excel, and MS PowerPoint to accomplish assignments, correspondence, graphs, charts and presentations
• Previous experience interfacing and commissioning of complex systems with a large engineering team
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively within a group setting, and with external and international teams
• Excellent communication skills
Desirable Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• A certification in Configuration Management from an accredited institution or organization or equivalent experience is desirable
Applicants should send a Letter of Interest and a Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only electronic submissions will be accepted. Please refer to the Job Number in the letter and in the email subject line.
GMTO is an equal opportunity employer.